So far New York has been great. Visiting friends, The Nutcracker and a great kale caesar salad for lunch yesterday at Soho House. I’m heading off to the Rockaways today to volunteer and help victims from Hurricane Sandy and then will be back in Pittsburgh tomorrow. Thanks to Orianne from last week’s interview, we all have a new vinaigrette to try with our kale this week. I always love the addition of anchovies to dressing and this one is no exception.
Shredded Kale with Bagna Cauda Vinaigrette
1 bunch kale, finely sliced (6-7 cups sliced)
1 tablespoon grapeseed or other cooking oil
1/4 cup onions, diced small
5 anchovy filets, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the cooking oil in a small pan, add the onions. When they start sizzling, add the anchovies.
2. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until the anchovies have dissolved. Add garlic slices.
3. Sautée for another 3 minutes, the onions and garlic should be golden. Transfer to a small bowl.
4. Whisk in the dijon, vinegar and oil. Add salt* and pepper to taste.
5. Drizzle over sliced kale and mix well to coat.
*taste the dressing before you add the salt because the anchovies can be quite salty