It’s good to know that the direct translation for Dr. Seuss’ Green Eggs and Ham is just that: Les oeufs verts au jambon. So the name of this post will make sense when translated.
I was never a huge fan of Dr. Seuss as a kid and growing up vegetarian where kale was always a staple of Sunday breakfast, the idea of green eggs just did not make sense to me. Green eggs? The only thing green was kale or broccoli or well just those two.
I frequently cook brunch for me and Philip on the weekends because we always find it to be much more enjoyable than going through the hassle of waiting in line at a brunch spot only to find ourselves left with over-priced, cold omelets. And now that the summer squash is mostly gone, I thought I would try something new. As with all the kale dishes, it is not revolutionary but was a fresh way to brunch.
I took the traditional idea of sautéed kale with spring onions, garlic and chili flakes (a favorite way of David Lebovitz) and added in sun-dried tomatoes.
Philip was extremely disappointed that this was not Green Eggs & Ham but I told him that if I’m in the kitchen cooking and cleaning up, I refuse to deal with bacon grease. Of course, feel free to add some ham to your brunch if you want to stay true to our childhood icon, Dr. Seuss.
Green Eggs & No Ham
1/2 bunch of kale, thoroughly washed, remove extra thick stems, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic
1-2 heads of spring onion
1 teaspoon of chili flakes
5-10 sun-dried tomatoes
Organic, farm-fresh eggs, poached
Whole-grain sliced bread
Salt and pepper
1. Dice spring onion and garlic. Heat frying pan with olive oil and begin to sauté.
2. 3-5 minutes later, add kale, chili flakes, salt and pepper and sauté. When kale is beginning to cook, add a splash of water.
3. Place large pot of boiling water on stove for poached eggs.
4. 3-5 minutes later, add sun-dried tomatoes, continue to toss with thongs.
5. When cooked, remove from heat and cover.
6. Once eggs are poached, place kale on plate and add poached egg on top. Finish with a pinch of salt and pepper.
7. This also can be done with placing kale and egg on top of toast.